Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Slow Cooker in a Pinch

Several weeks ago I went to clean my oven. It was a chilly day and I was happy to have the heat in the house without turning on the furnace. I blithely turned the oven to clean and went about my work. Later that evening I went to open the oven and it would not open. Well I thought it just need to cool down more I will wait till tomorrow, well low and behold it would not open the next evening. We have tried everything and it still will not budge. We have know the range would have to be replaced sometime soon and so we have decided it will be now. We are researching ranges and will have to make a choice soon and hopefully by the new year we will have a new range.

However of course I have been craving baking. I love to bake and this is the best time of year. So I feel my wings have been slightly clipped. So when I made chill a few weeks ago I really wanted corn something to go with it. As they say necessity (or really wanting something) is the mother of invention. So I went to allrecipes.com and I found this great recipe

INGREDIENTS

* 1 (15.25 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
* 1 (15 ounce) can cream style corn
* 1/2 cup margarine, softened
* 1 cup sour cream
* 1 (8.5 ounce) package dry cornbread mix

* add to recipe box Add to Recipe Box
My folders:
* add to shopping list Add to Shopping List
* add a personal note Add a Personal Note

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 2 quart casserole dish.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together the whole kernel corn, cream style corn, margarine, sour cream, and corn bread mix. Pour into the prepared casserole dish.
3. Bake for 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

I just threw it in the crock pot and turned it on low. I also used real butter and homemade cream corn. A few hours later we had corn bread. I loved the result so I just decided to see how much my little slow cooker can do. I looked up apple crisp on allrecipes.com and deserts for the slow cooker I found lots of things. The apple crisp was great. I set the lid off of the slow cooker when it was done for a while and the top crisped right up. Dh loved this and tonight I am going to try this. Ministers Delight It is a cherry desert he love cherry!

I can't wait to see how it turns out.

No comments: